Let's get TECHnical

A few guidelines and tips on the latest technology!

Monday, November 28, 2011

Wiki Wiki

The Wiki experience was a new one for me, I was not sure what one was until TPTE 486. I did not realize that Wikipedia was a huge Wiki, but now it makes sense once learning about wikis. At first I was not sure what Wikis were or how they would be useful, but the elementary education group created our resource wiki it began to make more sense.

What went well? The first wiki we made was the All about me wiki, and it went fine, but I was still not sold on the idea of a wiki. It was easy to set up once you got the format and how to insert images down. Then, with a partner, I made a wiki about Smilebox. I began to realize the usefulness of the wiki being able to work on it with someone else. It was neat how two people could work on it without having to be on the same computer. The collaboration went really well. Then, the third wiki I participated in was the resource wiki with a group of 13 people. That did not go so smoothly because there were so many people working on, but I began to really understand how a wiki would benefit teachers. However, once it was down it was amazing how it all came together.

I would use the wikis in the classroom to help parents be more involved and know what is going on in the classroom. I could make a wiki about a trip the students took to a zoo, or even make a virtual field trip. Also, it was be neat to make a wiki for each student and post there projects and reports on their page for their peers or parents to see. I think a wiki is a vital tool in a technological classroom! If I could do anything differently, I would suggest to not have so many people on one wiki because it easy to have not an equal participation and too many ideas could be flying all over the wiki.

No comments:

Post a Comment